Monday, January 11, 2010

I know what they would say

I know most people would tell me not to do it; that I am creating a bad habit. But I can't help it.

Sometimes Luke cries in the middle of his nap. I go in and reassure him and leave. Sometimes he falls back to sleep, but most of the time he will keep crying.

I give it a minute and then go back in. I ask him what is wrong, what do you need? And he says in the sweetest, saddest voice, "Mama". So I pick him up. And as soon as I do he wraps his little arms around my neck and snuggles into me like my arms are the safest place he could ever be. I sit in the rocking chair and rock him. He falls back to sleep.

I just stare at him. I wonder how I got to be so lucky to be this little miracle's Mama. How is it that God has blessed me so much. Then the tears come. This feeling is like nothing I have ever felt. I am so in love. He makes me the happiest Mama ever.

And then I think, the day is going to come {way too soon} when I am not going to be able to hold him like this. He isn't going to want to snuggle with his Mama.

I put him back in his crib. He wakes up enough to look at me and I tell him he is ok. He falls back to sleep.

I know people would tell me that he is 18 months and I shouldn't do it, but I can't help it.

6 comments:

Holly Steffen said...

i think that's totally sweet. it won't last forever... so eat it up. :)

mama knows best. you know what's best for you and your family. not books and not other people. ;)

Love you!!

Ashley said...

you know what I say. :) Hold him forever (or as long as he will let you)! LOVE YOU!

Joylynn said...

Based on what I've been reading, people who practice attachment parenting (AP) would say that you are doing the exact right thing in responding to his cry because Luke's cry means he needs something - comfort in this case. And by responding you are demonstrating your love for him.

Mom said...

Don't stop he will grow up so fast and then it is over. Blink your eyes and you will have you and your brother all grown up. Then your not needed or have that little bundle to hold and cuddle. I wish I would have listened to my mom and cuddled more. Night time is a different story naps they give up anyhow. You are the best mom I know so don't change anything. I love you!!!!!!!
Mom

Rob said...

Kerry Ann,

You're the BEST MOMMY ever! I love your love for him, how he's so lovey because you teach him how to kiss and hug and give/ask for so many kisses/hugs each day. He cherishes those times with you...he treasures and LOVES you...
Luke loves you
this much? || NOOOOO..
| T H I S M U C H !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! |
I love you this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![You have exceeded the number of characters allowed; please continue in another comment.]

Rob said...

[continued from previous comment]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MUCH! Love, Robbie