Monday, August 15, 2011

Tennis player in the making

Luke LOVES playing tennis. He has for quite some time now. I thought I better document some of his stuff. Rob and I are most definitely ok with him being a tennis player so we are encouraging his interest. He is constantly asking to go to the court and when we can't go he plays "pretend tennis" inside.

He seems to have some skill! (Uncle Paul - the tennis player who has also taught lessons - thinks so too.) He's got some impressive hand-eye coordination. We have been giving him some pointers but he also loves watching tennis on TV. When he did the 'ready position' like when you are waiting for a serve I asked him where he learned that. "From the tennis guys on TV!" We even do agility drills with him. He loves it and it's hilarious!

{Just ignore that he is wearing his church clothes.}

Ready. (He even sways back and forth.)

Bouncing.

One-handed forehand.

Two-handed forehand.

Dropping (by himself) and hitting.

Hitting.





And here is a video of him playing. If you have the time, are interested, and are able to follow these directions, check out his form in slow motion on the second shot.
Pause the video before the second shot. Then put your cursor on the little ticker that moves along as the video is being played. If it is paused you will be able to manually move along the video by moving the mouse as you are clicked on the ticker. Move it slowly.
If you are into tennis, notice his eye focus, position of racket, follow through, and foot position after hitting it. Incredible if I do say so myself. :) So what if I like to brag.........




I better go -- he's in his room singing my favorite song, "Mommy my Mommy, Mommy my Mommy." I think he wants me. :D Love him so much!!!!

5 comments:

Ashley said...

Amazing! Love him!

AllThingsThatAreGood said...

This little guy is a stud. Get your autographs now!

Poppy/Grandpa said...

He is really something else!! It is amazing how he has so many talents!! Great post and great pictures.Thanks for taking the time to share. Love, Poppy

Gram said...

Thank you for the pics. He is truly amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love you and miss you Peanut.
Love Gram

Aunt Karen said...

Loved, loved the tennis in action video. So amazing!